Sunday, May 25, 2014

Clay's Woodland Themed 1st Birthday Party!

For Clay's 1st Birthday, we chose a woodland theme for his party. It was Curtis' idea, and since his nursery is decorated with a woodland theme I instantly loved the idea. For decorations, we made a picture banner of his first year of life for the mantel, complete with a little train and tree set from www.terrysvillage.com. Add a few candles, some logs and a felt fire scene and the mantel and fireplace were complete!

 

I found some adorable party favors on Etsy that hold about a 1/4 cup of candy in each one. I bought some personalized M&M's in orange, green and brown that say "Clay" instead of the traditional "M" on each candy! Super cute and fun!


My mom made an amazing wreath with little felt woodland characters for decoration. This matched the tree on the front porch to greet people as they came in.



My mother in law made a wonderful welcome sign for the front door.


I absolutely loved the amazing cake that we got from Celebrations Sweet Boutique. (Spokane, WA) We got a half sheet for the guests and a small 4 inch round cake for Clay to smash.



For food, we had sandwiches, chips, potato chips, twig pretzels, acorns (mini vanilla wafers, chocolate chip, hershey kiss, and icing), fruit cornucopia (waffle cone, red, orange and blue fruit), and the hedgehog cheese tray. 





My mom made an amazing table runner for the table. Pictures don't do it justice! I love the little felt mushrooms and the river and mountains at the end!







Clay slept through the first part of his party, but we greeted guests and served the food while he slept. We then woke the little man up and he had a lot of fun playing games and showing off for the crowd. We then undressed him and let him smash his cake. The minute he saw that big red "1" he instantly grabbed it off the cake! 


We all had fun watching him eat his cake, but the fun part was watching him share!





My brother bought Clay a mini soccer ball and Clay had a GREAT time playing catch with the kids at the party. It was really neat to see the older kids playing so well with him. It was a fantastic party and I couldn't have asked for a better day to share with my favorite little boy.



Happy 1st Birthday Clay!!!





Hedgehog Cheese Tray:

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups whole natural almonds
1 (8-ounce) package of cream cheese
1/2 cup real mayonnaise
3 crispy cooked bacon slices, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon chopped green onion
2 Black olives

Directions
Mix together the cream cheese and the mayonnaise. Add the bacon, salt and pepper, dill, and onion. Chill overnight.

On a serving platter, make a hedgehog shape with the cheese. Begin to press the almonds at a slight angle into the cheese, starting at the narrow end of the hedghog, leaving room for his face. Do this in rows, continuing to overlap rows until all the cheese is covered. Use black olives for his eyes and nose. Garnish with fake sprigs, or real ones, or with rosemary.

Serve at room temperature and spread on crackers.

 http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-heavyset-cheese-ball-recipe.html?oc=linkback


5 comments:

  1. Going to try and make this cheese ball tomorrow for my grandsons 1st birthday..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am literally out of words! You have done a fabulous job with this party, I don’t think I will ever be able to match up to this. Thanks heavens, I came across this post, at least now I can get some ideas from here for my kid’s birthday party for which I have booked one of the Los Angeles event venues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the recipe! We are having a Woodland Animal themed baby shower for a young lady in our office and I have seen this cheese ball pictured in many places but had not seen a recipe until here! THANK YOU AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete